top of page

Champagne David Léclapart

About 17m south east from the city centre of Reims is the charming village of Trépail. This village is located south east of the Montagne de Reims. The vines grow on Campanian chalk and the departmental road divides the land into two origins: the Upper Campanian and the Lower Campanian, which give rise to two styles of wine. Plots are scattered around the village on these two geological places and allow for permanent oenological research.


David Léclapart is the fourth generation winemaker in his family. He took over the business in 1998 on the condition that he would only farm in an organic and biodynamic way. Great-grandson, grandson and son of a winegrower, David grew up in contact with the rhythms of both the vine and the wine. After a classical non-wine school background, he trained at the school of agrobiology in Beaujeu and returned to the vines (his destiny) with a strong desire to learn and understand. A desire deeply passionate about working in harmony with nature, and a vital need to respect the living: from the vine to the glass. Biodynamics are his life, in his own words: " this requires motivation, time, risk, rigor and honesty ". This agricultural philosophy allows him to achieve and respect his four guiding principles: Purity, Energy, Pleasure and Ecology. Using biodynamic and organic farming enable him to revitalize the vines and the soil, and nurture growth through the practice of following the lunar system.

His work in the cellar avoids any oenological technology or intervention which may alter the characteristics of his wines. Only the alchemy (terroir, climate, grapes and human labor) embody his spirit as a winemaker. The wines are zero dosage without added sulphur dioxide. No fining, filtration or cold stabilization is employed. Malolactic fermentation occurs naturally and indigenous yeast are used. Barrel aging ranges from 11 to 15 months. Barrels are neutral acquired from a famous Burgundy winemaker many years ago.

Working almost 3 hectares in mono cru (Trépail, 1er cru), 70% of his vineyards are made up of chardonnay, represented by the Blanc de Blancs wines: L'Amateur, L'Artiste and L'Apôtre. The remaining 30% is planted pinot noir represented by the Blanc de Noirs wine: L'Astre. In 2012 for the first time ever David produced a blended wine as an homage to his father: a new special cuvée was born: L'Aphrodisiaque made with 80% chardonnay and 20% pinot noir, vinified entirely in barrels. An assembly of all the plots reflecting its terroirs since the first vintage 2012 (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019).

David meticulously manages every aspect of the business hands on with his wife Carole and their recently joined son Martin. From the vineyard management, labeling, branding, thoughtfully allocating the wines around the world, to his unique winemaking skills that create his signature style. Known as a humble producer David is often graciously sharing his learnings and experiences with other winemakers around the world. Working side-by-side with his father in the vineyards, Martin the next generation winemaker, is destined to continue the legacy of the Léclapart family of making truly great and unique wines.

Champagne Léclapart is AB / Ecocert certified and David is considered one of the early pioneers in organic and biodynamic farming. Total production is small ranging from 12,000-15,000 bottles maximum per annum and the wines are highly sought after.


bottom of page